Transitioning

It's hard to believe that the end of 2013 is almost here! For me, a lot of things have changed this year; for the better I'm certain but some days, it doesn't feel so.

Earlier this year, I lost my job. During the year, I penned my first book, took my first girls' trip with my best-friend, walked away from the most amazing man and a relationship of five years, a friendship of even more and moved into my mom's place. But I'm not here to talk about that...just yet.

cute fro
For the past few months, I have been struggling with the decision to transition to natural hair. Why the struggle? For as long a I can remember, I've always had relaxed hair; relaxed hair is all I know...apart from that brief stint in high school when I rocked a God awful cute fro for about two weeks then proceeded to relax my hair. Natural hair to me has always seemed like too much work. It is a lot of work to maintain and I was afraid...being the lazy person that I am.

You're probably asking yourself, why the change of heart. Maintaining natural hair hasn't gotten any easier right? Welp! Apart from natural hair just being so much better? Eventually, I want to have children and if I have daughters, I want them to see the natural beauty in their mother starting with her hair (because that's one of the first physical things they'll see right?) I want my children to understand that it's not mandatory or a requirement to conform to what society portrays or deems normal. That it's ok to love the skin they're in. To be their own natural beautiful selves and if they decided that after a while they want to have their hair relaxed, I will support the idea knowing that I have done my best to instil in them to be themselves, to think for themselves and not to worry about what everyone else is doing.

With that being said, I'm participating in a hair challenge over at 
Vett's blog called #NoHeatDecember.
Luckily for me, my hair is presently braided leaving me to yield not to temptation but I will post photos on Twitter with the hash-tag #NoHeatDecember as I try to style my braids. Unfortunately I don't have an Instagram account for you to follow. Thanks Blackberry! If you want to join the challenge, check out Vett over at Real College Student of Atlanta and she will add your name to the list. 

Hope you dolls had a fabulous weekend.

xo
Eesh

15 comments:

  1. I would love to try box braids but I'm terrified for my edges, good luck with your no heat challenge :)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrified for my edges as well, that's why I never get them braided in and I always tie the front of my hair as best I can with a silk scarf.

      Thank you for the luck doll!

      xo

      Delete
  2. what a year for you, I hope 2014 is full of blessings! LOVE your braids, can't wait to see more photos & so happy you're doing the challenge!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I sure hope so too.

      I'm obsessed with them! This is my first time having them so big so I'm curious to see how I do with styling them.

      xo

      Delete
  3. 2014 is going to be great for you with all the growth and changes you experienced in 2013 :)

    I'm so proud of you for transitioning! Having natural hair isn't hard but you couldn't tell me that when I began to transition in 2011 so I know how you feel. In the end, you'll love your decision, I promise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. You're rocking your braids! Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Faith!

      My first year will probably be the pits but I guess as time rolls by, I'm gonna be just alright. I'm already starting to love the curls I'm starting to see. *excitement*

      xo

      Delete
  5. Lol ok guess I've already failed because I just unplugged my flatiron. Oops. It's now up to you! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL oh but that's my fault! I will power on for the both of us!

      xo

      Delete
  6. Wishing you all the best in 2014! I feel like the universe always rewards courageous decision!

    Yay, for transitioning! :)

    www.NikGLifeAndStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's great that you want to do this for your future children, to show that they are beautiful exactly as they are, because they truly will be. If they want to try a relaxer just to change things up for awhile or hair color etc I'm glad you will allow them to do that as well.

    I prefer keeping Dominic's hair short, but if he ever wanted to try braids or a fade etc, I'd let him as well.

    as far as losing your job goes and ending a relationship, I'm almost positive it's for the better. God always leads us where and who we should be at/with, even if it pains us for awhile <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dominic will be adorbs either way!

    Thank you sugar! I'm looking at it in a positive way as well :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol at people worried about their "edges". I'm going natural too and currently have box braids which I love love love. But I'm not worried abour my edges ;) I saw the comment you left on fashion toast on the pandora jewelry post and I was intrigued! Wishing you a great coming year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's the number one concern! I've always left my edges out though because I would get those tiny annoying bumps when I was a kid so when I got older, I started to tell the braiders to leave my edges out.

      Oh wow! I'm happy that it peeked your interest! :)

      Wishing you an amazing year as well!

      xo

      Delete

 
Powered by Blogger.