Trying Something New Sometimes = Epic Fail

Last Friday night, my friend Robert & I went to dinner at a local Thai restaurant called Thai Lotus. I decided to leave my Juggernaut of a camera home & travel with my old faith digi instead. We were already an hour late, so I didn't bother to get photos of the outside because I would have had to cross the street. 

From the outside, the ambiance of the place seemed pretty cool. You know that expression, curiosity killed the cat? Well, this kitty died after passing the restaurant twice every week on my usual workout trail & never having tried Thai food before, I became entranced by it.

Must. Try. Thai. Food.

Eh, I could have sat this one out. I was disappointed from the moment we arrived.

Yes, the ambiance was amazing but the host didn't even bother to greet us with a smile...or a goodnight for that matter. He gestured for us to follow him & seated us at wobbly table in the corner. After walking off without saying anything, we just assumed that someone would be with us momentarily. The waitress that served us was a little more tolerable although she never cracked a smile either. Listen, I am a stickler for customer service. Smile at me & treat me like a queen, I won't remember how much your food sucked. 

Crispy Spring Rolls
Speaking of food...for starters, we ordered the crispy egg rolls and chicken satay. Since they didn't give us a drink menu, we went with Cranberry juice. The waitress just riddled off the liquids they had and after the first wine choice, I stopped listening.

Chicken Satay


When the appetizers were brought out, the chicken satay was cold. Strike One. Surprisingly, I didn't complain. I got over it but it's kind of hard to not notice a huge refrigerator in the hallway that I'm assuming led to the kitchen, where the waiters & waitresses actually get the ice & beverages from...in plain view of most of the dinner tables. WHUUTTT? Am I supposed to see you get my drink? Am I supposed to see you split & pour that $1.50 can of Blueberry Cranberry juice that you're charging $3 a glass for into both me and my friend's glass? Ok then. Strike Two. Once again, Eesh overlooked this.

Cashew & Almond Nut Shrimp
We proceeded to order our entrées. Robert ordered the sweet & sour chicken & I, the cashew & almond nut shrimp which both came with a bowl of Basmati rice. My first initial thought after tasting the food? Must. Find. Salt! And I'm not even that big on salt. They didn't eve provide condiments. Where's the cute little salt shaker that's supposed to be on my table? Did it run away? *holds head* Oh no! Please excuse me sarcasm.

Once we got passed the whole "no salt" thing, the food was actually good. I just kept telling myself, "Eesh, salt...very bad! They did you a favour girl!" 
But as always the company was awesome which made up for everything else.

I've never left a restaurant so quickly in my life! I don't mean to bash the place and I won't say not to try them. Your experience may differ from mine. It really is a neat spot but beware! BYOS! (Bring your own salt). Can't say I didn't warn you ;)

Now, to announce the winner of last week's Give-away!


Congrats pumpkin! I will email you shortly. 

Hope you dolls enjoyed your weekend!

xo
Eesh



15 comments:

  1. That sucks so bad! I'm such a stickler for great customer service too!

    Just last week my girlfriend and I tried a Thai restaurant and we had such a great experience and the food was good! You'll have to try another Thai restaurant for me, ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith, for you I would BUT ain't no other Thai restaurant in these parts. How about this? Whenever I'm in your neck of the woods, it shall be a bloggy date! :D Tell Sean don't get too jealous now!

      xo

      Delete
    2. Boo to that!
      But YES to a bloggy date!

      Delete
  2. Bad customer service is one of my biggest pet peeves ever! I was a server for almost 5 years during my college years and so I tend to be even pickier when it comes to how I'm treated at a restaurant. Hostesses and servers who don't smile or greet you properly are a HUGE complaint of mine!!! At least the food was semi-decent I guess...haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg yes! I was a customer service rep for 3 years. I think the problem is that because we gave so much, we expect much! But yeah, I'm not dining there again.

      xo

      Delete
  3. It was your experience that was bad, not Thai food though. That's awesome. You need to try a better restaurant. You will like properly cooked Thai food. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I am dying of laughter over the fact that no one is blaming the Thai food!

      I actually felt it could have been sooooo good if they had actually put in effort but it wasn't all that bad either!

      xo

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes it did look yummy but the taste was...eh.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      xo

      Delete
  5. Oh gawd yes sounds like a bad first impression. And I'm certain it will take some serious work to get you to go there again. But thankfully the company made up for the restaurant's lacking. I almost died laughing at your salt comments. That's strange though...no condiments. Love that adventurous spirit of yours *mwah!

    And congratulations to Shade'M :D enjoy your prize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the good company wasn't really a distraction...for either of us but it was a good experience.

      My adventurous spirit she says lol

      xo

      Delete
  6. I never tried Thai food either, aside form some crap they sell in the mall food court. I'm sorry you had a bad experience and I hope you didn't tip! I'm the same way about customer service- nobody made you take this job, you better cheer up! HAHA

    I went to a Japanese restaurant once that tasted like they put meat and rice in some Campbell beef stew. It's not there anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet that crap in the mall tastes better!

      Ouch! Luckily for me, we have good Japanese restaurants here.

      xo

      Delete
    2. We def have good sushi places, but as far as entrees.... not so much.

      Delete

 
Powered by Blogger.